Monday, February 27, 2012

Thanks For The Invitation!

Invitation is critical. It's a key component in building the kingdom.

For some years now, I've been active at St. Matthias in such ministries as pastoral council, lectoring, employment ministry and others. We have often had discussions about how to engage the members of the congregation. How to encourage them to respond to their baptismal call to be disciples and put their talents to good use in our community.

Often the response is, "Put an announcement in the weekly bulletin." The theory is, people will read the bulletin, see that there is a need, and they will sign up. The trouble is, that theory seldom matches the reality. Don't get me wrong about the bulletin. I read it! But it's not enough to really engage people.

What we have found --that really works!-- is to personally invite someone. To approach them one-to-one and ask if them if they would consider stepping up to a greater level of involvement in the life of the parish.

The Music Ministry uses this approach all the time. I remember how Eileen Casazza would hear someone singing in the congregation. She would approach them and say, "Have you ever thought of joining the choir?" Many choir members were found just like that! My wife Joan and her team still use this method.

I remember when I was "called" to join the Pastoral Council. Several council members asked me personally if I would consider it. I'm glad they did because it lit a flame in me that still burns to this day.

This is the invitation approach. We have seen it work time after time. It's the key to making genuine connections in faith.

When you invite someone to a deeper level of involvement in their Catholic faith, it can have wonderful results.

No comments:

Post a Comment