Monday, February 27, 2012

"See, I am doing something new"

As we move into Lent, we are about to cross a spiritual threshold, a doorway of opportunity. What will you do? Most of us were taught to "give something up" for Lent. Are there other options?

In today’s reading from the prophet Isaiah, we heard: "Thus says the Lord: See, I am doing something new. Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? In the wilderness I make a way, in the wasteland, rivers." A bit further in this reading from Isaiah, the Lord says: “It is I, I, who wipe out, for my own sake, your offenses; your sins I remember no more.”

God is taking care of creation, of the land and of His people. God is renewing the covenant, restoring the Earth, and repairing the relationship with His people.

In essence, God is putting things right. God is showing us the way that we are to live if we desire to be His people.

So, as you cross the threshold into this Lent, stay mindful of the fact this year is our jubilee year. Jubilee is the year of releasing captives, freeing of slaves, cancelling debts, returning land to its original owner, and "letting the land lie fallow."

In Luke's gospel, Jesus proclaimed jubilee when he said: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

Ask yourself, Is there "something new" that you are called to do? What "good works" can you perform? What can you do, during the 40 days of Lent, that will help to "put things right" in your relationships with others, with the Earth, and with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment